Monday, December 18, 2006

Raphael Campo

Can a doctor be a poet?

Raphael Campo, MD, is a physician at Beth Israel in Boston, MA. He has published several volumes of poetry, but it must be hard to balance the right and left brain.

"Will you remember me the way I am
today? This long engagement---twenty years---
has taken something of a toll. I came
to bed last night, and thought that we were far
from being done with dreams."

From "On the Right to Marry," May 16, 2004.
http://www.rafaelcampo.com/rc_poem/rc_poem_index.html

2 comments:

thom said...

Stephanie,
Thank you for the link to that beautiful poem. My partner and I had been having a rough couple of days, and coming across that link this morning so serendipitously seems like a wonderful omen to us.

I also wanted to let you know that I'm really enjoying your blog, and I've featured a link to it, along with other UCSF blogs, in a story linked from the main UCSF website (http://www.ucsf.edu , at the bottom under the "UCSF Blogs" header; I'm the University's web manager).

Finally, while I spent a fair amount of time at Adams House (I had a boyfriend there for a while), back in my Harvard days I lived at North House, when it was still NoHo; I don't think I'll ever be able to call it Pforzheimer House.

Esther Altshul Helfgott said...

Thank you for this post. I'm reading Campo's Poetry of healing now.