Saturday, January 24, 2009

When I Grow Up

The favorite questions between classmates during this season are: 1) Are you taking a year off? and 2) Do you know what you might go into?

No. And no.

Throughout medical school, I always assumed that the right field would seem immediately and obviously perfect for me. Maybe it would be when I diagnosed my first ear infection in a 2-year-old in Pediatrics. Maybe it would be when I first saw an open abdomen under the bright lights in an OR during Surgery. But somehow, working on the theory that finding a medical profession can be as easy as love at first sight has...well...turned out to be harder than imagined.

Writing has always been a way for me to process emotions and explain decisions. But during third year, writing has been difficult due to time constraints, privacy issues, and my inability to sit down and ponder the journey that will be my life.

Stay tuned for future angst.

1 comment:

kim said...

I know what you mean about writing and not having the time. I know you'll figure it out anyway :)