Wednesday, January 16, 2008

I Try Really Hard, Actually

DSL remarked this afternoon, "There's a line in the movie 'Juno' that I really liked...


Juno: I think I'm in love with you.

Paulie Bleeker: You mean as friends?

Juno: No, I mean, for real. 'Cause you're, like, the coolest person I've ever met, and you don't even have to try, you know...

Paulie Bleeker: I try really hard, actually."


We talked about how lots of things...like getting your errands done at Walgreen's, buying bread in Cole Valley, and basically keeping your life from degenerating into a state of entropy requires extraordinary effort. And when life actually functions, it looks effortless. Isn't that ironic? Like a sculpture that looks effortlessly crafted or an Olympic ski jump that looks so carefree...things that take enormous amounts of effort, energy, training, thought to be distilled into 1 object or moment that looks as though it took no effort at all.

What paradox!

No comments: