Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Static shock

I woke up today already a little agitated because I had forgotten to call home to wish Jeremy a happy birthday yesterday night after teaching MSP and then overslept this morning until 7:50 a.m., decided that it wasn't worth coming in 20 minutes late to lecture because it was getting almost embarassingly predictable so I slept a little more and arrived in time for the 9 a.m. lecture.

Probably a good move since my brain was more alert and I actually learned more, but one detail that the lecturer mentioned gave me a little mental static shock. He mentioned that patients with multiple myeloma do not have good prognoses and that bone marrow transplants are palliative measures designed to reduce recurrences and extend survival.

Someone whom I admire very much received a BMT for multiple myeloma -- and it almost made me cry realizing that things in life are so unfair.

No comments: