Thursday, December 27, 2007

When People Have Questions

Not related to medical school, but this list of unanswered questions from Slate.com almost got me laughing out of my seat. Usually, Slate has a Q&A column that addresses the mysteries of nature and society...such as does the camera add 10 pounds? In this installment for the end of 2007, Slate lists all of the questions that were too random or bizarre to respond to.

Some of my favorites:

• Why are some cats softer to the touch than others? Is it possible I have the softest cat in the world?
• There was the most beautiful sunset here in Indiana last evening. Would the California fires have anything to do with that?
• Why do most reptiles go to sleep when you rub their bellies? I have done it myself with everything from domestic water dragons to wild alligators, but I heard recently that it is bad for them—and they only appear to be sleeping, when in fact they are having trouble breathing. Is this true?
• Is it "open sees me" or "open says me"?
• Is there such a thing as "crazy eyes," where the whites go all the way around the corneas and makes the person look psycho, such as those of runaway bride Jennifer Wilbanks and wife-dismemberer Stephen Grant?

No comments: