Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Michael Blumlein, MD


Last November, I went to UCSF Student Health Services (SHS) complaining of upper abdominal pain. The doctor at the time was kind enough to squeeze me into his schedule; his name was Dr. Blumlein. Overall, I was pretty satisfied with SHS and how the doctor gave me a full work-up. Several months have passed, and I havne't thought about SHS for a long time.

However, this afternoon, the cover of a book at the UCSF bookstore caught my eye.

"Blumlein," I thought, experiencing a tingling, uncomfortable feeling between my shoulder blades that usually signals that I should have read the class syllabus last night.
I took the book off of the shelf and did what any amateur browser does: I read the back of the book, the inside flap, and then the back inside flap...and there was a picture of my doctor at SHS!
Apparently, Dr. Blumlein is a physician at SHS by day and a well-respected science fiction writer by night. He has published several novels and dozens of short stories and has been nominated several times for prizes. It amazes me that everyone at UCSF seems to lead an exciting double life or to downplay interesting accomplishments. UCSF is like a box of chocolates...you never know who or what you're going to get...


No comments: